Friday, June 12, 2009

Journey to the O.C. Mudd Run

I am signed up for the O.C. Mud Run this upcoming July 18th. I am excited to do this event with so many other friends attending too. I am doing the 10k run while some others are doing the 5K run. Some things kinda concern me though. I know that the terrain is going to be different than some of the previous runs I have done since there are going to be obstacles in the way and also.....MUD...obviously!
One of my trainers Annette just did the Camp Pendelton Mud Run last week and told me all about her experience and I am feeling better about it now. You can check out her experience at http://trainerannette.wordpress.com/2009/06/07/annettes-first-camp-pendleton-mud-run/
So now I am training differently for this run that past runs before. I know that just running will not help me do the obstacles better. So I have come up with a game plan for my run.

1. Run: Obviously I will have to run most of the 10K (6.6 miles)

2. Cross Training: This will consist of doing exercises with using body weight. For example: there will be a wall obstacle in my way, so I will have to do some pull ups on a pull up bar and also some rowing using the TRX System. http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/

3. Stationary Bike Intervals: If you have ever run or biked for a long time, you will at some point develop a burning feeling in your legs that pervents you from going on. This is due to lactic acid that builds up in your legs from not having enough oxygen in your muscles. I find that doing the stationary bike will get me to this point of "burning feeling" in my legs without the shock of running.

4. Bleacher Runs/Hill Runs: This will be a great way to overcome and hills or elevated running that will be on the run. It also help develop a great strenth to my legs for the run.

5. Foam Roll/Massage: After all this running, lifting, & training; I will need to regenerate my body. So foam rolling will be great for my body to get some of the knots and sore muscles out of my body. You can order your own foam roller on my site http://www.nextleveltrainer.com/ shop.

Well that is my game plan for now. I will let you know how I do in a few weeks. Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment