Monday, May 11, 2009

Back to Running!!!

Well after about a month off of running, I am back at it again. I have the O.C. Mudd Run on July 18th and I am doing a 10K with my friends and family. So of course, I have to set a good example for all those who followed me through my running spurt in the beginning of the year.

Here is how I am going to start back up again:



1. Foam Roll:

Any kind of exercise for your legs or lack of exercise can make you develop knots on your legs. These are tight spots or trigger points in your muscle that can inhibit your muscles ability to stretch out to the fullest. What can happen is you start to feel like your muscles are tight and cannot fully can a good stride when running. Knots can also give you bad form when running.

Using a foam roller can help you by pressing up against these knots on your legs from your upper legs to the calves. The foam rollers are not expensive, around $20-$40 for a good foam roller is what I recommend.



2. Legs, Balance, & Core

Now that your legs are free of knots, or what I call JUNK, you can start to strengthen your legs for the running you are about to do. I do not recommend using heavy weights when you do your legs or even your upper body. If you notice, runners dont hold too much muscle mass. Extra weight on your body will mean more weight your knees and joints will have to carry. So doing exercises like lunges ( all different directions), bench step ups, single leg deadlifts, and calf raises using body weight, are good for your legs.

Doing balance exercises on one leg is also key because when you run, you are using one leg at a time in your stride. So getting your balancing muscles tuned up is key. I would recommend doing standing exercises like standing arm curls or shoulder presses using one leg to balance on.

Your CORE or the area from your chest down to your hips (abs, lower back, hips, glutes) is key to strengthen for running. When you fatigue during running, your body will bend side to side or even slump forward. This will bring unwanted stress to your lower back, hips, and knees. So doing exercises like planks (front and side) can help keep your running posture in check through out the miles you log in.



3. Eat and Refuel:

Proper nutrition is key to a good run. Getting the proper amount of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats will dictate how your runs will go. I recommend getting carbohydrates in early before your run. Choose food that is easy to digest like bananas, a slice of bread with peanut butter, or yogurt.
While running, you will be using up a lot of calories and using up a lof of fuel during your run. After an hour of running your muscle glycogen, fuel for your muscles, can run low. This will be the point where you might start to feel real tired or faint, so refueling at this point of your run is very important. This could mean the difference of stopping the run in 2 minute or continuing the run for another 4-5 miles. I would recommend using gel packs like Goo Packs or Sport Fuel. They are liquid gel packs that can be eaten without having to feel full afterwards because they get absorbed in your body fast.

4. DONT GIVE UP, DONT EVER GIVE UP! :

I am not gonna lie, starting back up is going to suck. I will be in pain. I will not be able to sit still because my legs hurt, my feet have blisters, and I am tired. But I promise you, I will not quit running. Once you commit to a goal, stick to it. I am a fitness professional, one of the best you will find around, and I am telling you it is hard for me too.
I weigh 215lbs and I am only 5'9. Gravity and previous injuries are against me. I have a beautiful 9 month old son that wakes me up in the middle of the night 2-3 times. I have to wake up at 430am to train people. I suffered a tored calf muscle and have a bad hip. But I am not going to give up running. I will get back into running. If I give up now, I will keep giving up when things get hard. So I will have to suck it up and NEVER GIVE UP.

So good luck on your journey to running. Good luck in what ever you put your mind into!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment